AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB 12V 200Ah Deep Cycle Lithium Batteries
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB are two very similar deep-cycle Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, designed for various off-the-grid applications and for applications where battery have to support a huge number of charging/discharging cycles.
As such, AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB are commonly used as high-end trolling motor batteries, but also as RV house batteries, for powering various electric vehicles and even vessels, etc.
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB Features and Specifications
Both batteries feature a nominal voltage of 12.8 volts and a nominal (0.5C) capacity of 200 Ah, measured at 77°F (25°C).
Note: a 'nominal capacity' for these two batteries is given for 2 hours, not for 20 hours as it is common for lead-acid batteries. This means that both batteries are capable of providing 100 Amps for 2 hours with a very stable output voltage.
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB feature a maximum continuous charge current of 160 Amps, maximum continuous discharge current of 200 Amps, and maximum 10s discharge current of 350 Amps.
Also, the newer AIMS Power LFP12V100AB (note the 'B' letter at the end of the label) battery supports Bluetooth connectivity, allowing much easier monitoring of the battery's status and condition.
The following comparison chart lists the most important features and specifications of the AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries:
|Model||AIMS Power LFP12V200A||AIMS Power LFP12V200AB|
|Charging Voltage||14.4 - 14.6 volts||14.4 - 14.6 volts|
|2h Capacity||200 Ah||200 Ah|
|Minimum 2h Capacity||200 Ah||200 Ah|
|Cycles (100% DoD, 1C, 77°F)||~4000||~4000|
|Cycles (80% DoD, 1C, 77°F)||~4800||~4800|
|Stored Energy||~2400 Wh||~2400 Wh|
|Maximum Continuous Charging Current||160 Amps||160 Amps|
|Maximum Continuous Discharge Current||200 Amps||200 Amps|
|Maximum 10s Discharge Current||350 Amps||350 Amps|
|Battery Terminals||5/16" (8 mm)||5/16" (8 mm)|
|Monthly Self-Discharge Rate||<3%||<3%|
(L x W x H)
|20.7 x 10.6 x 8.7 inches
~526 x 269 x 221 mm
|20.5 x 9.0 x 9.25 inches
~521 x 229 x 235 mm
|BCI Battery Group Size||4D*||4D*|
|Warranty||10-Year Limited||10-Year Limited|
|Amazon Link||AIMS Power LFP12V200 12V 200Ah Lithium Battery|
Note: Amazon affiliate link opens in the new window, feel free to check it for the most up-to-date offers and prices.
The main differences between the 'older' and the 'newer' AIMS Power 12V 200Ah lithium battery are:
- batteries slightly differ in size and weight,
- 'newer' LFP12V200AB supports Bluetooth connectivity and provides the user with means to monitor battery status remotely,
- 'older' LFP12V200A features a light-blue stripe on top of the battery with the letters 'DEEP CYCLE 12V 200Ahr'.
Electrically speaking, these two battery models are practically the same.
Both batteries are labeled as '4D' batteries, but, like many other similar batteries, these batteries are somewhat larger:
- LFP12V200A: 20.7 x 10.6 x 8.7 inches (~526 x 269 x 221 mm),
- LFP12V200AB: 20.5 x 9.0 x 9.25 inches (~521 x 229 x 235 mm),
- BCI Group 4D: 20.75 x 8.75 x 9.875 inches (527 x 222 x 250 mm),
- BCI Group 6D: 20.75 x 10 x 10.25 inches (527 x 254 x 260 mm),
- BCI Group 8D: 20.75 x 11.125 x 9.875 inches (527 x 283 x 250 mm).
Theoretically, LFP12V200A belongs to BCI Group 8D, and LFP12V200AB belongs to BCI Group 6D - but as usual, these and similar batteries are placed by their manufacturers into the '4D' battery group.
Anyway, before buying these or any other batteries, ALWAYS check actual battery size and actual battery compartment size - better safe than sorry.
Battery Management System (BMS) Features and Specifications
Although both batteries are based on the safest lithium-ion chemistry (Lithium Iron Phosphate - LiFePO4), AIMS Power 12V 200Ah batteries are safe for use thanks to their built-in Battery Management Systems (BMS) that offer short circuit protection, over-charge and over-discharge conditions, temperature protection, reverse polarity protection, etc.
- Over Voltage Shutdown: 15.6 ±0.2V
- Discharge Cut-off Voltage: 8V ± 0.5V
- Over charge detection voltage: 3.8 ± 0.05V
- Over charge detection delay time: 0.96 – 1.4s
- Over charge release voltage: 3.60 ± 0.05V
- Maximum charge voltage: 3.65 ± 0.05V
- Over discharge detection voltage: 2.0V ± 0.05V
- Over discharge detection delay time: 115-173ms
- Over discharge release voltage: 2.3V ± 0.10V
- Over current detection delay time: 9 ± 2ms
- Over current release condition: Remove the load
These batteries are very safe to use thanks to their BMSs, just be sure not to abuse them...
Bluetooth Connectivity and Smartphone App
The newer AIMS Power LFP12V200AB battery features a Bluetooth module and allows the user to monitor the battery via the AIMS Power smartphone app. Via smartphone app, the user is able to check the battery and its status, including Battery Voltage, Battery Current (Amps), Battery Charge Status(SOC), Charge/Discharge State, Battery Cycles, Battery Temperature, Remaining Capacity (RMC), Design Capacity (DCAP), Full Charge Capacity (FCC), and Average Time: Empty/Full.
How to Charge AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB Batteries
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries should NOT be charged using lead-acid battery chargers or via alternators with no control electronics optimized for charging of the lithium batteries.
Recommended battery chargers are dedicated smart lithium battery chargers or smart AGM battery chargers with dedicated charging mode for lithium batteries.
Some of these units are:
- AIMS Power CON120AC1224DC Smart Battery Charger (Amazon link, opens in the new window): 12V and 24V battery charger intended for lead-acid (AGM, Gel-Cell, etc.) and lithium batteries, with maximum charging currents of 75 Amps (@12V) and 37.5 Amps (@24V).
- NOCO Genius G26000 12V/24V Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer (Amazon link, opens in the new window): 12V, 16V, 24V battery charger intended for lead-acid (AGM, Gel-Cell, wet/flooded) and lithium batteries, with maximum lithium batteries charging currents of 26 Amps (@12V) and 20 Amps (@16V) - it cannot charge 24V lithium batteries. Also, it can act as a power supply, jump charge booster, battery repair, etc.
Of course, there are many other battery chargers on the market that can be used for charging 12V 200Ah lithium batteries, just be sure to keep the charging current below 160 Amps, preferably around 100Amps or somewhat lower.
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB Batteries as Trolling Motor Batteries
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries can be used as excellent, lightweight but high capacity electric trolling motor batteries.
In order to reduce energy losses, the maximum current of electric trolling motors is usually kept under 60A, mostly around 50 Amps - that is why stronger electric motors require 24V and even 36V voltages.
Both LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB are able to provide 50 Amps for 4 hours easily.
Note: If You are pushing your electric trolling motor most of the time at 100% of its power, your boat is seriously underpowered, with no additional power for safety.
If the trolling motor is used at 50% power (~25 Amps), a single, fully charged 12V 200Ah lithium battery can provide energy for 8 hours(!) of operation.
For 24V, 36V, or even 48V electric trolling motors, AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries can be connected in series in order to create battery banks of required voltage.
Note: When connecting LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries in series and parallel, don't mix different batteries and be sure to connect them according to their manual. If You are unsure about it, seek professional help - better safe than sorry. After all, these are very expensive batteries - IMHO, too expensive to play with...
Also, due to their weight, AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries are suitable as general-purpose batteries on small boats, kayaks, canoes, pontoons, and similar.
A single 12V 200Ah battery may be used to power an electric trolling motor (which is often used as the main form of propulsion on such small vessels), navigation lights, onboard electronics (GPS, fish finder, radio station, etc), and other similar loads for a very long time - all this from batteries weighing only 61.7 pounds (~28 kg; LFP12V200A model) or 56.5 pounds (25.6 kg; LFP12V200AB model).
AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB Batteries as RV House/Inverter Batteries
Deep cycle lithium batteries are replacing deep-cycle AGM/Gel-Cell batteries as RV house batteries because they lead to great weight savings, they support a much larger number of cycles and they don't suffer from capacity loss (like lead-acid batteries) when being discharged with stronger currents.
For example, a 2000W pure sine wave power inverter with an efficiency of 80% requires 2500W from the batteries. Depending on the power inverter voltage and the minimum number of required batteries:
- single 12V battery connected to 12V 2000W power inverter: required current is ~210 Amps, which is slightly larger current than the maximum continuous discharge current of LFP12V100A or LFP12V100A batteries. However, if you want to power a 12V 2000W power inverter with a single LFP12V100A or LFP12V100AB battery, be sure to use a power inverter with an efficiency of at least 85% (~2350 watts from the battery, ~196 Amps). Personally, if You already have a 12V 2000W power inverter and want to use LFP12V100A or LFP12V100AB batteries, connect two in parallel and create a 12V 400Ah lithium battery pack that is able to store ~4800 Wh of energy and to power such power inverter for almost 2 hours when the power inverter is pushed to its limits.
- two 12V battery connected in series to provide power to 24V 2000W power inverter (80% efficiency): required current is ~105 Amps, allowing these batteries to power this power inverter for almost two hours.
- three 12V batteries connected in series to provide power to 36V 2000W power inverter (80% efficiency): required current is ~72 Amps, allowing these batteries to power such power inverter for almost three hours.
Because of the energy stored in each of these batteries (~2400 Wh per battery), they can be used as excellent power inverter batteries in various off-the-grid applications, not only as RV batteries, of course.
Long Story Short: AIMS Power LFP12V200A and LFP12V200AB batteries are large and initially expensive batteries, but they can save plenty of weight and also in the long run, money.
Both batteries can cycle ~4000x down to 100% DoD (~4800 down to 80% DoD), they support strong charging and discharging currents, feature smart BMS that protects the batteries, and allow them to be connected in series and parallel.
Also, the 'newer' AIMS Power LFP12V200AB battery support Bluetooth connectivity and monitoring via a smartphone app.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check AIMS Power LFP12V200 Lithium Battery Amazon link (link opens in the new window).